Monday, January 2, 2012

Chili Through A Straw

Beverage: Peppermint Tea w/ Honey & Lemon
Audio: NPR's The World

OK, here's my conundrum:  84-year-old dad just had the rest of his teeth removed.  Apparently, the old dentures never fit properly, causing pain.  In a few months when his gums heal up, he'll get new ones.  Meanwhile... what can I cook that he can eat?

We usually do chili with meat and beans.  I decided to try NO beans, and run the meat through the food processor after it was browned.  It's not as bad as it sounds... I didn't wind up with Gerber baby mush, it was just ground meat in its smallest (atomic?) unit.  1 lb. of mild pork sausage, and almost 2 lbs. of ground chuck, along with a large sweet onion.  Browned them up all together.  Ran canned diced and home-canned home-grown tomatoes through the food processor as well.  It came out remarkably well, both parents and myself giving it the stamp of approval.

So, the adventure continues.  Ideas so far include: instant mashed potatoes (with gravy); scrambled eggs; bread & butter (his idea), sometimes with the crust removed.  Anyone else out there have experience with this?  Let me know.  Thanks!

- Reg

1 comment: